Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Blog on My Birthday — Lessons from the Past Year

Birthdays are a great time for reflection. And since today is my birthday, and my weekly blogging day, I thought this would be a great time to reflect on my writing over the past year, and the things we can learn on commemorative days such as these. So, since twenty four would make for way too long of a blog post, I came up with twelve things I've learned over the past year. Some are things I've learned for the first time, and some are simply lessons that have been affirmed over the past year, but all contribute to bettering your writing, and more importantly, becoming a better writer yourself. Hope you enjoy!

1. Write all the time. Over the past year, I've done a lot of writing. Completing two manuscripts, planning a third, and fully revising one, and while some days I can honestly say I am exhausted, the truth is that the more I write, the better I become. My last book was better than the one before, and my next will be better still. You learn as you write. And even if you can't trace it, or measure it, or quantify it in some way, writing all the time makes you better; and leads to more production — which is always good, because you never know which book will be your winning ticket.

2. Stay committed. There will be days when you just want to stop, or quit, or maybe scream. But seeing your project through is just as important as starting it in the first place. Creating goals can be a good way to do this. Creating a schedule helps, too. But no matter what system you use, staying committed makes all the difference. Writers will go through struggles. But real writers will also be the ones to persevere.

3. Make sure you have at least one writing buddy. My writing buddy has been supremely important in keeping me going, reminding me of my goal, and helping to develop my ideas. We don't necessarily work together or read each other's work all the time, but every time we get together we talk about our ideas, and work through our uncertainties. We encourage one another and throw out different ways a plot might go, or bring up important elements to keep in mind. Writing buddies are key. You may actually write alone, in a solitary space, but no writer can actually do it alone. You at least need someone who understands all your complaints about writing!

4. Tell people what you do, and accept their encouragement. This has been one of the greatest things for me this year, and something I've realized for the first time. I think I've said it before, but I have been blown away by the way people are interested in, curious about, and supportive of my writing. This has kept me going on lots of occasions. Telling people about your process invites them into a relationship with your work in some small way, and opens up lots of doors for support and encouragement — most of which miraculously come at just the right moment!

5. Remember how far you've come. Writing is a solitary act, and sometimes, after we've revised and revised or written and rewritten, it can feel as though we are not achieving quite what we want to achieve. But remember where you started. Every writer has at least one book sitting in the drawer, and that book may never do anything other than collect some real or virtual dust. But there is nothing wrong with this. Just think about how you used to be looking at the blank screen and now you have fifty pages. Or how bad your last manuscript was. Or how you used to write weak dialogue but now write engaging, page turning discussions. Don't forget the past. It will help you stay motivated for the future.

6. Make writing a priority. I've said no to plenty of plans over the past year, or made myself sit in front of my computer when all I really wanted to do was watch a TV show or hang out with a friend. Writing will only get done if you actually make yourself do it. Don't let it get lost in the shuffle.

7. Always be searching for new ideas. The project you are working on will eventually come to an end. Published or unpublished, just like when you get to the end of a good book and start reading slower so the last page takes that much longer to come, your manuscript too will have to be wrapped up in some fashion. And you want to be ready to move onto the next project. So remember to keep your eyes and ears open for the next great idea. It might come from a headline of a newspaper or the person sitting in the cube next to you. But wherever it comes from, make sure to be on the lookout, and to write it down!

8. Remember that you love this. I'm not sure that all of us writers would have the same answer about why we write, but take some time to remember just why you are doing this. Why do you love writing so much? What is it about books that makes you excited or tugs at your heart? Remember these things. Because on the discouraging days, this will ultimately keep you going.

9. Trust yourself, and your idea. It is super important to listen to the suggestions of other writers, and to study writing as a craft. But at the same time, you want to make sure to stick with what you know is right for you. My professor once said newer authors often give in to suggestions of their editors because they feel that they have to, even if they don't agree. I think it is supremely important to follow and consider the suggestions of your editor, or agent, but never forget that this is your work and you should ultimately stay true to what you believe.

10. Persevere. When people tell you it's not good enough, or raise their eyebrows in question when you tell them your idea — just keep moving forward. Part of the writing life is rejection, uncertainty, and lots and lots of words on a page before you get to something truly great. But keep going. Keep writing, even if for now, you're the only one who stands behind what you're doing.

11. Sometimes, take a break. Whether the break is a half hour longer of dinner, or going to bed early, or just a spontaneous dance party in your room, getting away from the screen can be just as important as sitting there. Creativity isn't always on the schedule we want it to be, so don't be afraid to let your mind rest for a little while. It will make all the difference in the end.

12. Be ambitious. Fear can definitely be a road block to this, but the more ambitious you are, the more likely you will be in meeting your goals. Of course, realistic goals are important, too, but selling yourself short will never get you anywhere. So think big. And work hard. And your ambitions will suddenly seem like they're in reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment