Sunday, November 25, 2012

In Thanks — The Importance of a Mentor

This time next week, I will have turned in my final revision of my manuscript and will be anxiously awaiting for my mentor's final responses. He will annotate the manuscript, send me a letter, and I will call him on the phone — all for the final time, at least in this context. After Saturday, our cooperative work on this project will be done. And I can honestly admit, that idea seems strange.

After almost three and a half months of working together, and after I have worked on this manuscript for two months before that, somedays it seems this project has just become part of the very nature of my life. But like all projects, this manuscript is wrapping up and a new one will soon be starting. In some ways, it is time to move on, and transition into the next phase of sending it out and starting my next project. Nevertheless, I wanted to take the time to truly stop and appreciate all that I've accomplished in the past five months, and, more importantly, the person who has helped me do so.

When I found out who my mentor was in mid-August, I was overjoyed to have the privilege of working with someone who had accomplished so much in his career and who, I was certain, had much wisdom to share. It turns out I was right. I truly could not have picked anyone to work with over the past few months. I would never have gotten my manuscript to this point without my mentor and editor, Stephen Roxburgh.

Like the very name of his publishing company suggests, the role of an editor may often be unseen or unknown to the reader, but it is of supreme importance both to the writer, and the manuscript itself. My manuscript is infinitely better because of the ways that Stephen has shaped and led me. The input, guidance, wisdom and support he has given me has not only bettered my manuscript, but also changed me as a writer. I am thankful for his choice to work with me, and all of the wisdom he has imparted along the way. I could write for pages about all the things I've learned about the writing process and the craft; how to view your characters; what to cut and what to keep; the intentionality behind every word; the steps of the revision process; and so much more. But really, while all of these things are invaluable, most of all I want to appreciate his willingness to work with me and help me get closer to the writer I want to be. It all started with his decision to take on my project and work with a young writer. And for that I will be forever grateful.

Of course, I know that this mentorship with Stephen is a unique situation afforded to me by my master's program, but the value of having a writing mentor cannot be overestimated. While mentors are easier to obtain within a school setting, whether at the college or graduate level, I would highly encourage anyone to make sure that they are learning from writers or editors who have been doing this longer than you have. Mentors could perhaps come from a writing group or class you decide to take. And on some level, reading books about craft can serve as a type of mentorship for your writing as well. But being in relationship with other writers or editors who can read and help better your work is absolutely invaluable. Not only will you learn more about writing, but you will also find encouragement and support as you work your hardest and chase your dream.

I am blessed to say that these past few months have proven to be a great learning experience for me. I will always remember the guidance of my mentor and look back at the growth I have made during this time. I cannot express just how grateful I am, but only hope to continue learning and writing, and hopefully have more relationships such as this one — relationships that make me better, and lead me to create better books.

No comments:

Post a Comment